Gift Aid as a higher rate taxpayer

Nurse and patient

Every £1,000 you donate could be worth over £1,800 to The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity*.

If you are a UK tax payer and you have given us permission to do so, we can claim Gift Aid on your donation. To give us permission, please fill out this online form or call us on 020 7808 2233.

How to claim and donate your rebate

We can only claim back the basic tax rate of 20% in Gift Aid. However, if you pay a higher rate of income tax (40% or above) you can claim the difference between the higher rate of tax you pay and the basic rate of tax on the total 'gross' value of your donation (e.g. if you donate £100, the total 'gross' value of your donation is £100x100/80=£125).

To claim the additional tax relief, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self-Assessment tax return. You can find help to do this on the HMRC website.

If you do not complete a self-assessment, you can contact your local tax office and reclaim the tax on your donations using a P810 form or ask HM Revenue and Customs to adjust your tax code.

Donors can no longer send a tax refund to a charity straight from their tax return. Donors can still donate their tax refund to any charity themselves and claim Gift Aid if the qualifying conditions have been met. This extra could make a real difference to your donation.

If you have any queries about your tax position, contact HMRC on 0300 200 3310 or visit their website at

* This amount assumes the donor is a 45% taxpayer and that Gift Aid is claimed on both the original donation and the tax refund.